How to manage invoices and payments in the Geo desktop
The invoicing feature allows you to invoice all your recorded billables (time and materials) on a job, as well as add payments to these invoices. This can be done from either the desktop or the mobile app.
When you log-in to your Geo account, you’ll see a new icon in the navigation menu called INVOICES.
Clicking on INVOICES in the navigation menu will take you to the INVOICES page. This page includes a summary row which will tell you the TOTAL amount of all your current invoices and how much of that TOTAL has been PAID and how much is UNPAID.
Below this will be a list of all the Invoices that have been created.
These Invoices can be:
- Locked/Unlocked (by Admins only) Note: when locked, the Invoice cannot be edited or deleted and no Payment can be added.
- Filtered - by Status, date range or by the Invoice Due Date
- Searched - by Invoice number, Client or Job name
- Sorted - by Invoice number, Client, Status, Due Date and Total amounts
- Add a Payment to it - by clicking on the '+' icon underneath the Payments column
From this page, Invoices can also be created by clicking on the CREATE INVOICE button.
Note: INVOICES can only be viewed by Admins and Team Leaders.
Invoices tab within a Job
When a Job is clicked on you are taken to the 'OVERVIEW' page. On this page you will see a new 'INVOICES' tab.
From this tab you can access all the Invoices related to that specific Job. These Invoices can be also be edited, deleted, locked, sorted and have a Payment added to it. You can also create an Invoice here.
Invoices tab within a Client
When a Client is clicked on you are taken to the 'OVERVIEW' page. On this page you will see anew 'INVOICES' tab.
From this tab you can access all the Invoices related to that specific Client. These Invoices can be also be edited, deleted, locked, sorted and add a Payment to it. You can also create an Invoice from here.
Creating an Invoice
Invoices can be created from either the INVOICES page or the INVOICES tab within a Job or a Client.
When creating an Invoice, mandatory fields that populate are:
- Client - searches for existing Clients
- Job name - searches for an existing Job
- Job location - pre-filled from when a Job is selected (not editable)
- Invoice number - user to enter or auto generated
- Invoice date - pre-filled with today's date (editable)
- Due date - pre-filled with a date from today's date (editable)
Other non-mandatory fields are:
- Job description - pre-filled with Job description (editable)
- Notes - user to enter any notes relating to the job
- Material and Labour - pre-filled from Billables on the Job attached (editable - all changes will be updated on the Job)
- Amount Due - auto-calculated
- There will be a slight difference when creating an invoice from the INVOICES page or the INVOICE tab within a Job in regards to which fields are pre-filled. Invoices created from within a job have more pre-filled fields.
- All Invoices must have at least one Billable against them (Time or Material against the Job).
- Invoices can be created by Admins, Team Leaders and Staff, but not the Contractors.
Editing an Invoice
Once created, an invoice needs to be saved. When an Invoice has been saved, you can edit it by clicking on the Edit (pencil) icon from the Invoice list or when viewing an Invoice.
- An invoice cannot be edited when there is a Payment added to it.
- Invoices can be edited by Admins, Team Leaders and Staff (only Invoices they have created).
Exporting an Invoice to a PDF
When you’ve created an invoice, you’ll need to save it to see a PDF preview.
This PDF can then be checked and exported, ready to send to your customer.
Payments can be recorded in Geo from any of the following places:
- INVOICES page
- INVOICES tab within a Job or
- INVOICES tab within a Client
- You can add one or more payment to one Invoice
- You cannot add a payment amount that is greater than the Due amount
- When you click on the '+' icon under Payments, a pop up will appear for you to enter the following information - Amount, Payment Type, Transaction Date, Reference #, Description and an Attachment (if required)
- View payments by clicking on, 'View (hyperlinked text)', under the Payments columns
- Payments can be edited and deleted from here
- Only one attachment can be added to a Payment and Invoices cannot be deleted if there is a Payment linked to it
- Payments must be deleted before deleting an Invoice
- Only Admins and Team Leaders can add a Payment